- Algebra and Patterns - Involves patterns of numbers, relationships between numbers and the use of symbols to stand for unknown or variable numbers.
- Chance and Data - Involves mathematical treatment of data and statistics.
- Measures and Units - Involves properties of the physical world that can be measured, the units used to measure them and the process of measurement.
- Number and Arithmetic - Involves types of numbers, their properties and number operations. The strand has strong links with Measures and Units, Algebra and Patterns and Chance and Data. It also has some links with Space and Geometry.
- Space and Geometry - Involves the properties of two-dimensional and three-dimensional space.
There are differences in content across papers to ensure they are appropriate for year levels.
Papers Introductory, A, B, C, D and E
- Calculators are not permitted.
- Formal algebra is not tested. The emphasis is put on pattern, structure and puzzles.
- Formal geometry is not tested (except for a few items in Paper E). The emphasis is put on spatial skills.
Papers F, G, H, I and J
- Calculators are required.
- Formal algebra is tested. Students are expected to be familiar with some conventions of algebra.
- Formal geometry is tested. Students are expected to be familiar with some conventions of geometry.
To find out more about the mathematics skills assessed, download a PDF copy of the ICAS Mathematics assessment framework.
|Paper||Breakdown of Questions||Test Duration|
|Introductory||30 multiple choice||35 minutes|
|A||40 multiple choice||45 minutes|
|B||40 multiple choice||45 minutes|
|C||40 multiple choice||45 minutes|
|D||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|E||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|F||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|G||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|H||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|I||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|J||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
ICAS now covers Year 2.